Monday, January 10, 2011

Strawberry Salad


Last night I invited my friends over for a "Happy Healthy New Year Party", to kick off all our healthy eating resolutions with fresh fruits and veggies!

Here are a few of the yummy dishes I made, starting at the top: Mediterranean Eggplant (from Eat To Live, made without the garbanzo beans) with endive leaves for scooping; blanched green beans with lemon mayonnaise (mix lemon juice, zest, and white pepper with Vegenaise...this one isn't nutritarian but I enjoyed the plain green beans); celery, jicama, and sugar snap peas; and homemade white bean dip with cucumber slices and whole wheat pita bread. Not pictured are a big bowl of roasted carrots and another bowl filled with fresh strawberries and mango slices.

The party was a lot of fun, with everyone contributing other healthy dishes (one friend brought vegan Hoppin' John with black-eyed peas and mustard greens, perfect for the New Year!), and we all looked silly and got sweaty playing Just Dance on the Wii. Proof that people can still have fun and be social while eating healthfully!

This morning I made a beautiful lunch with leftovers, although there hardly were any! One friend brought this amazing roasted red pepper hummus, which I packed with cucumber slices for dipping. I sliced strawberries, apple, endive, romaine, and baby spinach for today's salad and topped with pecans and pomegranate balsamic vinegar.

24 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks like a great light and healthy meal!

pamela said...

Hello Jennifer, nice to see you again with your lovely food:) Some of your veggies aren't readily available in the U.K. (jicama) or too expensive either in terms of cost or air-frieghted food-miles. But I'm definitely eating more raw and making hummous and bean dips more frequently this year.
Have a great 2011!
xxx

Jenn and Jac @ sketch-free eating said...

strawberries rock! especially with greens, thanks for posting!

Emily said...

yum!

K said...

looks great!

Halfbloodpixie said...

Wow those tin lunchbox things look huge!
Looks lovely.

lindserina said...

hi! i have been an unofficial follower of your blog for a few years. as a new blogger, i just wanted to say congrats on being true to yourself. labels can be so limiting! the choices we make each day are what will ultimately make the world a better place - not what we label ourselves as. :)

RunnerBeanGreen said...

I love your blog! That salad looks delish! I love fruit in salads - grapes and strawbs...yum! xx

amy said...

omgg your pear cozy is adorable!!
It's exciting to see you starting new years on a good foot! (A healthy one :D)
you'd like the recipe i have on my page now, they're so yummmyy.

-Amy :)
www.rawveganunistudent.blogspot.com

Tanya Rimbaud said...

Yummi!!!! :) i love this page!
best regards from barcelona! :)

Lee said...

Hi - What was the mediterranean eggplant like? I was thinking of making it this week, but was wondering how it turned out?

Jennifershmoo said...

Leanne, it's one of my favorite dishes from Eat To Live! It's kind of savory, kind of sweet. I loved it as a dip without the beans, with the beans I could eat a whole bowlful. I use Westbrae unsweetened ketchup, I cook the onion and pepper longer than the recipe calls for to make them tender, and I use golden raisins instead of regular raisins. Other than that I just follow the recipe as it's written.

Lee said...

OH, Jennifer, now you've got me hungry! Thats it - I'm doing it. (Yep, I'm also a Fuhrman ETL fangirl LOL).

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer

I'm so glad that you're back posting. Good for you on your dietary convictions and for posting about it. As lots have said you don't even have to share that kind of thing with i-net "strangers" if you didn't want to so kudos to you!!!

I'm also pleased about your life changes with a lovely new partner. Yes, I agree, it makes all the difference to have someone support you like that. Blessings to you, Shmoo and your partner. May 2011 be all you want it to be....

:)

Monkey said...

Oh dear, you're making me drool a bit...

Amee Vang said...

so awesome! Inspirations!

Kimberly @ Bookmark To Blog said...

I just found your site and I am in heaven! I hope you keep posting because I can't wait to read more!

CeCeJay said...

Inspiring blog! I enjoy all your photos too. How big is your garden?
CJ in West Richland
(We're practically neighbors)

Unknown said...

The salad looks so refreshing. And what I like in it is that it has lots of strawberries in it.

Pinoy Wit said...

I must confess, I've tried and failed miserably at keeping a healthy diet but you make it look just so darn good! Those strawberries look so inviting...

Unknown said...

Hello,
New here following ETL need salad dressing ideas. That is where I have the most problem.

Ken D. Berry said...

Oh, that looks delicious. There is more and more research showing that junk food actually harms us and our kids. Thanks for a great site!

tohi said...

the strawberries look yum i must link to soe of your recippes soon. I think I'll go have an apple u made me hungry :) Tohi aka Tink

Chloe said...

It looks so delicious! I love it. I might try it soon.