Monday, June 30, 2008

A Vegan Tea Party

My mom, previously seen here as the Weight Watchin' Vegan, is back today as the divine hostess of a scrumptious all-vegan luncheon tea party in celebration of my sister-in-law's birthday. I just had to take a picture of her glorious afternoon table bedecked with delicate plates and pretty food. Isn't it beautiful? Martha would be proud...

Mom made an ingenious selection of dainty vegan tea sandwiches with crusts cut away. In the center of the sandwich platter are black bread rectangles filled with avocado, hummus, and sweet paprika. These are encircled by a trio of sandwiches on white bread: cucumber with Earth Balance margarine; green olives and pimentos with fresh chives and vegan cream cheese; and watercress, chive, and Earth Balance. Along the base of the platter are tomato and fresh basil sandwiches on small baguette slices spritzed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil (my favorite).

Next to the sandwiches is a pasta salad from one of our favorite cookbooks, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone:Fusilli with Garden Vegetables and Tarragon, filled with carrots, tomatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, red onion, and baby crookneck squash. Speaking of salads, my aunt brought a mixed fruit salad with fresh mint.

At the center of the birthday table is a Triple Chocolate Cake on a pedestal (I made the chocolate cupcake recipe from my cookbook as a 9-inch cake and filled it with raspberry jam). The cake is set off by two enormous pink Asiatic lilies from my mom's garden.

Finally, a summer tea party wouldn't be complete without a pitcher of iced tea, a pitcher of limeade, and a pot of hot tea (not shown) for those who wish to thumb their noses at the heat.

Verdict: Divine! These little sandwiches would make a great lunch box, packed with sweet iced tea, mixed fruit, and a nibble of dark chocolate or a dainty scone, don't you think? The only problem with this lunch is, now I'm too full to eat dinner.

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a lovely spread!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful... I love to entertain by having tea, and needed some vegan alternatives.

Erin said...

Fun! That's a great assortment of afternoon tastiness.

Lilian said...

How lovely!! And even lovelier that I came to check on your blog today, after a long while without checking.

And the best thing is that I see that there are several other posts for me to read! Great!!

Janet said...

Everything looks so pretty :) Your sister-in-law sure is lucky!

Clare said...

Lovely food on a beautifully laid out table. And chocolate cake. What more could you ask for?

Trish said...

I LOVE this! I am doing a tea party for my daughter this summer and this has given me a lot of ideas andinspiration!

Thank you!

Rose said...

A vegan tea party?! Sounds like fun!

Farrin! said...

Next time can I come? Haha, that looks lovely!

Julie said...

Aww cute! I wanna be invited to a vegan tea party!

-Julie
http://kindkitchen.wordpress.com/

Erin said...

The triple chocolate cake looks to die for.

A favorite addition to a tomato/basil sandwich: roasted red peppers. Yum!

Johnna Knows Good Food: Yum Yum, Gimme Some! said...

What a great idea! I want to do a tea party;-)

emma said...

this is adorable! i want to throw a tea party now!

new laptop battery said...

thanks.




Thanks from specialize in laptop battery,laptop AC adapters. All our products are brand new, with the excellent service from our laptop battery of customer service team.
Thanks for your info. The most convenient and cheap replacement battery online shop in uk. We specialize in laptop batteries, laptop AC adapters