Saturday, January 13, 2007

Spinach Bacon Salad

Shmoo has this Monday off, so it's time for another Mommy Lunch!

Those of you who read the summertime posts know I pack my lunches in this stainless steel container, which I strongly recommend for holding big veggie and fruit salads like the kind I usually have for lunch.

During the cold winter months I still make lots of salads but add creamier dressings and richer toppings to make them a bit more filling. Today it's a Spinach Bacon Salad: baby spinach, romaine, radicchio, and lots and lots of sliced fresh mushrooms, with a stack of fried
Fakin' Bacon and a Creamy Shallot Dijon Dressing to toss on at lunchtime.

Citrus fruits are at their peak in the winter, but eating plain oranges is getting a little boring. Today I jazzed them up by making Oranges with Raspberry Sauce and Ginger, packed in a scooped out orange bowl.

On the side are some pistachios, and my happy glass jar is filled with Very Veggie Juice.

Verdict: I had never tried Fakin' Bacon before, although I love fried tempeh. These smoky strips were fantastic, easy to prepare and great on a spinach salad.

Just before taking this picture my inner Cooking Muse told me to sprinkle pickled ginger on the top of my orange salad. At first I was extremely doubtful ("Pickled ginger on oranges? Are you sure?" "Yes! Yes! You must add pickled ginger!"). Turns out it was perfect -- exactly what the salad needed to make it sing. 5 stars.

14 comments:

Elias Punch said...

that lunch container looks great -- i've been looking to replace my plastic lock'n'lock boxes. can you use just one of the dishes at a time, or do you always need to use them bundled? or they have their own lids, or is the top dish the lid for the bottom? thanks!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Happy MLK Day -- hope you & Schmoo enjoy your lunch together. It looks delicious -- what an exciting combo of flavors. I've been enjoying your cookbook & especially love the Spelt Biscuits! :o)

Jennifershmoo said...

>>can you use just one of the dishes at a time, or do you always need to use them bundled?

Follow the link in the post to see more pictures of the containers and how they work. You have to fit them together as a set with the locking handle around them.

Ellen said...

Hooray! I found your site last week and just received my cookbook yesterday. I'm so happy you're still bloggin after your book is finished. I ordered one of those tiffins for myself and one for my mom-she will LOVE it. Thanks so much for all your fabulous ideas!

Paige said...

Love your site, love you! I'm new to veganism, and I have four kids, so your blog is just so much fun to read right now.

Hope you don't mind, but I just *had* to blog about your site. Added you to cool links, too. Keep rockin'!

fiammetta said...

Fakin Bacon ROCKS!!! I use it to make "BLT"s all the time. and also with waffles. i am dying to make this salad now.

** Terramia ** said...

Great idea! Merci... must try!

funwithyourfood said...

mm Citrus. I've been eating grapefruit like crazy- just plain and loving it.

Teddy

Unknown said...

Sounds yummy. I myself have not tried any fake bacon as of yet. Although I must admit it looks like my kind of salad. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How do you fry tempeh? I try not to eat meat analogs very often and I've never heard of frying tempeh it sounds good!

Jennifershmoo said...

>>How do you fry tempeh?

Tempeh is usually fried in traditional Indonesian cooking. I've heard that you can find freshly fried tempeh sold by street vendors there. Yum!

Slice tempeh into strips and deep fry it in hot oil, or shallow fry it in a tablespoon or two of oil using a cast iron or nonstick pan. I like to add some soy sauce at the end for a nice flavor.

Christi said...

Would you mind if I added your blog to my blogroll?

Mikaela said...

I'm all about the Momma Lunches - keep 'em coming! :D

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I just read your recipe for oranges, raspberry sauce, and ginger--oh my!--I'm making that one. I'm a vegetarian, and my husband is a meat-eater but likes vegetarian foods, so I'll be back!